Friday 6 June 2008

Graham Norton - Id Do Anything Girls Attempt To Build Bridges

The contestants on I'd Do Anything have stressed they back their rivals to rise to the challenge of playing Nancy in the West End.

The five remaining hopefuls on the BBC1 talent show had been quick to offer their views regarding the weakest performers in the group when quizzed a week ago but have now moved to emphasize their firm belief in each other's abilities.

Under questioning from host Graham Norton about the most likely contestants to be ejected from the competition both Jessie Buckley and Jodie Prenger had earmarked 17-year-old schoolgirl Niamh Perry as the girl least suited to playing the part of Nancy in Sir Cameron Mackintosh's upcoming revival of the Lionel Bart musical.

Buckley had said Perry was "better suited to a pop career" while Prenger described the Northern Irish contestant as "naive, so fragile".
But in an interview with the Daily Mail newspaper, Blackpool native Prenger dismissed the notion that she could not see the appeal of Perry, claiming: "I just pulled the name out of a hat. It was such a hard thing to do."

She added: "We've really bonded. We really are best friends."

Samantha Barks, a drama student from the Isle of Man, performed a similar turnaround in the interview, after saying on last week's show that Belfast singer Rachel Tucker was "so slick and polished".

When questioned about her views on Tucker a week later, Barks replied: "I don't think Rachel should go. I definitely think Rachel could be Nancy."

Buckley, however, firmly believes is capable of playing the part of the feisty EastEnder, saying: "They think I'm fragile, but I'm not."

She continued: "I speak my mind and don't let people walk all over me. It's irritating that people have a judgment because of my build.

"I don't want to change myself. I'm not going to put fake tan on. I'm not going to eat more. I'm who I am.

"[Sir] Andrew [Lloyd Webber] has said I could redefine the role, so that's what I want to do rather than be the stereotypical Nancy."


16/05/2008 13:56:36




See Also